See some of our key festival events below. We have so much going on in June and July to mark the WW1 centenary and we hope you’ll join us, as a member of our local Beckenham & Bromley community, for a range of events and spectacular displays! All of these events are open to the local community.
Flyer for programme here: Langley Boys WW1 Festival flyer
Including 600 beautiful poppies made by 600 pupils and a reconstruction of a WW1 battlefield trench.
– An Opening Gala event in the magnificent Performance Hall on Monday 16 June, to be attended by the new Mayor, Cllr Julian Benington, & Mayoress of Bromley, of music, poetry and dance with presentations about why WW1 still matters, with a screening of a short film about pupils’ visit to the battlefields in February. Retiring collection for The Royal British Legion.
– A FREE daily ‘pop-up’ museum (open to the public every lunchtime 12.50-2pm) and 45mins before each evening event (no need to book, just turn up) – an amazing archive, curated by the School’s student History Association, of local stories and artefacts
– A FREE political cartoon workshop on Sat 21 June 2-5pm – a ‘hands-on’ activity for all the family, plus learn about how cartoons were and are used as propaganda – refreshments & home-made cakes available (no need to book, just turn up).
– A FREE screening of ‘Paths of Glory’ (PG), Stanley Kubrick’s acclaimed film about WW1 starring Kirk Douglas in one of his finest performances – tickets going fast! Under 16s welcome.
– A Bandstand Live outdoor performance by our outstanding young musicians and Bar-B-Q on Friday 20 June!
– A guest performance by The Matchbox Theatre of West Wickham on 25 June!
– Steven Spielberg’s spectacular ‘War Horse’ on 26 June on our BIG screen – Under 16s very welcome. £8/5.
– Plus a celebration of women in WW1 in song, drama and dance from Langley Park School for Girls on 2 July
– Finishing on Sunday 6 July with a spectacular performance (2 at 3pm and 6pm) of Karl Jenkins’ The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace by LPSB Community Choir, BYMT Adult Choir (over 200 singers) and BYMT Sinfonia. Retiring collection for Help for Heroes.
– Refreshments and bar available 30mins before every evening event and in the interval – FREE parking
– PLUS many other great events at Langley Park School for Boys, South Eden Park Road, Beckenham – details and booking here: http://www.ticketsource.co.uk/lpcpa